Friday, November 02, 2007

Year in retrospect


With Samhain being the start of the Pagan new year it prompted some introspection.
I've not done a single witchy or pagan thing this whole year. Or rather, not purposefully. I've read a few random books, lit a candle on my mom's birthday, toyed with the idea of creating a small altar space, but not actually done it. Or anything else, it feels like. Maybe did the grand total of 2 tarot readings, done half heartedly.
I'm as dry as a riverbed in a drought.
The only time I felt connected to something bigger than me was when we were in Greece, in Sparta. Standing in those ancient ruins of that ancient city I looked up at these fantastically huge and majestic mountains towering over the valley and I just yearned to stay there and stare at them forever. I know, it sounds New Age and naff, but it felt like the gods never left that place. Or rather, the goddess. Freaky, I know. The modern town is nothing spectacular. It's not geared to tourists, but it has this, gorram it, I'll call it "magic" about itself. Walking through the olive groves on the Spartan acropolis and looking at the ancient ruins, I felt connected to a different time and place. It could have been my imagination, being in such an atmospheric place, but I would like to think not.
I've resolved, ontop of a few other things, this coming year, to pay more attention to the spiritual side of life. Buy some new mind, body, spirit books, get out into the countryside again, to go and visit the seaside and just sit at the sea and stare at it a bit. To connect to the other missing parts of the elements in our lives. To learn how to meditate, even if I have to go take classes at my local gym. Maybe even take up yoga or pilates. Become a bit more balanced in my life.
This I resolve, so mote it be.

No comments: